Deep fudgy chocolate, caramel, walnuts, what’s not to love!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: makes approx. 24 bars
Caramel Layer Chocolate Squares
- 11 oz caramel bits
- 5 oz. evaporated milk
- 1 box German chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt caramels with 1/3 cup of evaporated milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine cake mix, butter, nuts and the remainder of the evaporated milk.
- Divide dough and press 2/3 of the dough in the bottom of a 13×9 greased baking pan.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle dough with chocolate chips.
- Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips in ribbons.
- Piece rest of remaining dough mixture over the caramel.
- Bake 15-18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool before cutting.
Melt the caramel bits with 1/3 cup of the evaporated milk in a sauce pan over medium heat.
Combine the cake mix, melted butter, nuts and remaining evaporated milk together. I used walnuts today, but your could easily swap out for pecans.
The dough will be very fudgy looking. Divide 2/3 dough out to press into pan.
Press the dough into the 13×9 greased baking pan and bake for 6-8 minutes.
Sprinkle cooked dough with 1 cup of chocolate chips. My family prefers milk chocolate chips, but semi-sweet would work just as well.
Pour over the caramel mixture in ribbons.
Piece the remaining batter over the caramel. Bake for 15-18 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Let cool before cutting. Pour yourself a glass of milk and enjoy!